Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default chicken stock revisited

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
> pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
> in ziplocs.
>
> I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
> make it again when I need to.

First - turkey stock is my favorite. The turkey bones and meat
contains much more flavor than chicken.

My largest pot is an 8-quart pot so I make 7 quarts from that
each time. From a 20lb turkey carcass, I can make 2 batches of 7
quarts each. Make one right away and freeze the other half of
turkey carcass for another batch later on.

One thing I've learned (from a customer)...for the best, simmer
it 24 hours, not 8-12 hours like some people stop at. If you've
never done that, try it. It's so much richer.

Last couple of years, I've been making chicken broth as needed in
my smaller crockpot. Less volume but easy to make a new batch
more often. SF once mentioned using the crockpot so I tried it
and liked it. Best for chicken is also 24 hours. Try it if you
haven't - you will notice the difference.

Anyway, using the crockpot, I start it in the morning and just
forget it until the next morning. No need to check like a
simmering pot on the stove. Only thing I do is about after 12
hours (that evening) I'll remove the lid to stir and break up any
large pieces. Then lid back on until the morning.

Next morning strain it then cool. And this is why I like to do
this on cold days when I can set the pot with lid outside to cool
quickly before going into the fridge. Hopefully Jill will now be
able to imagine why someone might wait for cold days to cook
large pots of anything.

I freeze mine in lidded pint and quart containers.