Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-17 1:29 p.m., songbird wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

>> yes, by a long ways.
>>
>> most people eat a lot more over-processed foods
>> than they used to.
>>
>> his point is well supported by reading labels
>> in the pasta sauce aisle in a normal grocery store.

> We don't buy many processed or prepared foods. We tend to cook from
> scratch with fresh or frozen foods and some canned goods. I had tried
> some prepared pasta sauces and was never impressed. A couple minutes of
> chopping and sauteeing and then adding a jar of passata is usually better
> than anything commercially prepared and sold in a jar or can. A while ago
> I was introduced to the organic marinara sauce at Costco. I usually have
> some on hand and sometimes wonder if that little bit of work I go to is
> worth it.
>

>> it's not just pasta sauce, but almost every item
>> inside the aisles (around the edges you find dairy,
>> meats, fruits and veggies).
>>

> There are entire aisles of grocery stores I rarely even walk down except
> as a short cut. For instance, most of the grocery stores around here have
> a frozen foods section with pizzas, lasagna, meatballs and other various
> Italian entrees, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, waffles etc. Every once in
> a while I have to make a point of checking them out just so I know what is
> available.

I used to rarely ever go down the frozen food aisles and was always shocked
at some of the things I'd see. Like a tiny bag of cooked brown rice for a
lot of money. A bag of raw chicken or hamburger patties.

I do buy some now. I rarely eat them but Angela loves chicken nuggets/strips
so I keep a bag in case she stops by at meal time. And QFC/Fred Meyer has a
line of frozen meals that even Bruce would like. Beans and vegetables with
brown rice. They are not very large and wouldn't be very filling but my
gardener likes them as a snack. I used to rarely buy frozen veggies because
for the most part, I don't like them but he was eating those too. I do like
the bell pepper strips from TJ's. Need to get more. Far cheaper than buying
fresh peppers this time of year.

For myself, I buy Tina's bean and cheese burritos from the Walmart food
center. 38 cents each. I'm sure Bruce wouldn't approve of those but I do
like them and you can't get a cheaper meal unless perhaps it's Ramen and I
just won't go there. Yeah, I can make a burrito but sometimes I have no
tortillas.