Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

"songbird" > wrote in message
news
> Gary wrote:
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
>>> sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful.

>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

> yes, by a long ways.
>
> most people eat a lot more over-processed foods
> than they used to.
>
> his point is well supported by reading labels
> in the pasta sauce aisle in a normal grocery store.
>
> it's not just pasta sauce, but almost every item
> inside the aisles (around the edges you find dairy,
> meats, fruits and veggies).

Always shocks me to go shopping with my friend who is older than me. Aside
from a few Japanese dishes, she does little in the way of cooking. And even
then, she relies on prepared sauces. She can do things like beef or pork
roast, turkey breast, grilled cheese. Simple things. Again, relying on
packets when possible. She is always astounded by me because I can look in
the fridge or cupboard and always come up with a meal. I think the only
seasoning she has in her house is Lawry's. Her baking is from packets too.
She just has no interest in cooking. But when she comes here, the first
thing she does is look in the fridge for leftovers. Heh. Her family consumes
a lot of yogurt, cereal and milk.

When we shop, we have few similar things in our carts. Maybe a tomato. Her
daughter eats raw tomatoes on salad.