Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-17 3:34 p.m., wrote:

>> The computer you used 20 years ago sucked compared to today's
>> computers. Do you think food is any different?

> Yes, food has greatly deteriorated, along with taste expectations...
> most people nowadays think shit tastes wonderful, their taste buds
> have migrated to their rectum... eat enough fast food you too will
> contract chronic TIAD.

I think that some fruits and vegetables tasted better. Maybe I was
spoiled by having a vegetable garden and ate lots of tomatoes and beans
fresh from the garden and they had much nice flavour than the stuff we
buy these days. Ketchup used to be thick and rich. The old ketchup
commercials used to use the song "Anticipation" to demonstrate how thick
it was. Now they have bottles with the dispenser on the bottom so it
runs out easily and you don't notice how thin ans sloppy it is.

> Restaurant food was better 20 years ago... was much better 60 years
> ago.... even your favorite Golden Arches burger was far better
> quality way back when it cost 15ยข.

I don't really count McDs as a restaurant. I never liked their food. I
think restaurants are infinitely better than they used to be. Most mom
and pop places didn't have chefs or even good cooks. They were burger
flippers and deep fryers. Most places had the same old dinner food,
hamburgers, dries, onion rings, tuna salad, BLTs, westerns, (canned)
soups and hot roast beef or turkey. The more expensive places were, at
best, good home cooking. There are a lot more decent places these days
and they sell much better and much more diverse foods, and the food is
usually prepared by trained cooks.

> Truth is when you bought a computer 20 years ago it ran for twenty
> years. Today computers have lots more technology but you're lucky if
> they last 2 years. I knew right away that computer longiviety was
> going downhill fast when their steel cabinets and chasssis became
> plastic.

The real truth is that if you got a new computer 30 years ago it would
be obsolete within two years. My first PC was an XT with a 20 meg hard
drive that cost me $430 and made me the envy of my computer geek friends
who were still using floppy discs to boot up with DOS. You can now get
USB sticks with about a million times the capacity for about $20, and
hard drives usually crashed within 2-3 years.

> I remember flying TWA, their Tourest Class was more posh than today's
> First Class, and air travel meals were superb

True. The treatment was much better. However, the airlines are in hot
competition and running on a very narrow profit margin. My good friend
is a retired airline pilot and he says that the cost of running an
airline are so high it is amazing that they don't all go broke.

Air fare is cheap these days. It used to be unaffordable for most people
now entire families fly on vacation. When I was a teen I knew a lot of
people who would drive to Florida for a winter vacation. It would take
2-3 days of driving each way, and that mean hotels and restaurant meals
along the way. It's cheaper for them to fly now, and they get to spend
more time at their destination. Most people can cope with a couple
hours in the air without having to have a meal.