Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:03:23 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> >> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> >> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> >> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> >> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> >> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> >> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
> >> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
> >> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
> >> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

> > When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
> > deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> > better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
> > out my driveway I could get to the store.

> Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
> salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

Bullshit. Everyplace that gets snow gets a variety of snow.

Hey, Seattle--can we give you your weather back? We got an inch
of snow, a quarter inch of ice pellets, followed by rain.

The roads are ok because they've been running the salt trucks
pretty much constantly, but the parking lot at work is glare ice.

Cindy Hamilton