Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default snow big deal

On 2/11/2019 12:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.
>
> Friday I left work around 12:30 and headed toward the kids' school.
> I thought I might grab a bite for lunch before their early dismissal
> at 2:15 due to impending snow. Sure enough the flakes started coming
> down hard around 12:45 so I went straight to the school and after
> about 30 minutes had rounded up both my kids and we were on our way.
> Our trip home usually takes about 25 minutes but on Friday everyone
> decided to hit the roads at the same time so it took us two hours,
> mostly due to gridlock in the Central District. Fortunately I had
> pizza and clif bars for us to munch on during the journey. My main
> concern was my bladder but it still had some room left by the time we
> got home.
>
> Friday's dinner was bratwurst with sauerkraut and fried potatoes and
> a tossed salad. Saturday's breakfast was pancakes and bacon. Then we
> went out to play in the snow. We came back in for some pasta with red
> sauce, and discussed what our afternoon adventure would be. Well we knew
> we wanted to go sledding, it was just a matter of where. I tried my
> chains and decided after driving a couple blocks that maybe it's better
> to walk to the nearest hill rather than drive, park in the snow and not
> be certain if my car could get moving again. I'll save driving for when
> it's necessary.
>
> After sledding we came home to warm up and have some sandwiches.
> The boys' mom came to pick them up and I was on my own. I had the
> leftover brats and sauerkraut for dinner and some chips. Ice cream
> for dessert.
>
> Sunday morning I tried Bob's Red Mill "Organic Whole Grain High Fiber
> Hot Cereal" for the first time. I bought it because I've been wanting
> to try something organic and they didn't have organic steel cut oats,
> and I thought this might be the next best thing. Well, the texture is
> about a 1.5 on a scale to 10. There's nothing to really chew on, and
> it's got this glutionus almost rubbery consistency. The added butter and
> almond milk helped a little but I think all hope is lost here as far as
> an enjoyable eating experience. My homemade breakfast sausage offset
> the unpleasantness enough that I could choke down all that fiber. There's
> a recipe for muffins on the bag which I may attempt, although I will
> be prepared for a rubbery result.

> [...]

Â* Well , it ain't snow , but today for the 3rd time since we moved up
and started building (bought the land 18 years ago) the creek is way up
from heavy rains . We usually can't see water (in the creek bed) from
the house , today it's a lot higher than just visible . Looks like it
might be going down some right now , until the next round of heavy rain
.. All the same to me , I ain't going anywhere today . Except out to the
wood pile to replenish the inside supply for tonight and maybe up to the
mail box to get the starter cells for my seedlings for the garden . Time
to get started if I'm to have seedlings ready to transplant by April
15th or so . Already started prepping for my 2nd annual Mother's Day
Plant Sale . First was profitable , and I got plenty of starter material
so why not . Already got 6" hanging pots lined up ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old