Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default what's with peanuts?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:37:55 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/10/2019 9:39 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I had one once at a friends house. It was an interesting
>>> experiment but nothing more. The turkey itself was very tasty and
>>> not greasy at all. You can't stuff the turkey though as that
>>> would be grease city.
>>>
>>> The peanut oil has no perceptable flavor...it just has a high
>>> smoke point so is often favored for frying various foods.

>>> Not a southern thing...It was just a short lived fad maybe 15
>>> years ago. Do it once and not worth a repeat, imo. An oven
>>> roasted turkey packed full of stuffing is more the Southern
>>> tradition, imo. At least it is in my area.*
>>>
>>> With me at least, one of the nice things about a thanksgiving or
>>> Christmas turkey dinner is the nice smells in your house all day
>>> as it cooks. With the deep-fryed outside in the yard, you lose
>>> that.
>>>

>> I have had it* and it was okay. Not worth going out and buying the
>> equipment. The whole process scares me. I don't like the idea of
>> dropping something that big into a pot of hot oil over an open flame. It
>> is an accident waiting to happen. It doesn't help that the cooks are
>> usually half in the bag when they do it.
>>

>There's (allegedly) a method to not setting your house on fire if you're
>going to deep fry a turkey. First rule is, you fill the fryer or a same
>size deep pot with water to where you think the oil should be. Then you
>immerse the turkey or something the same size and weight as the turkey
>and see how much liquid splashes out. If it splashes out, oh boy,
>you're probably going to catch your house on fire. Even if not, you'll
>have a huge mess of wasted oil to clean up.
>
>Jill <---not interested in deep fried turkey

Not interested in deep fried turkey either, however if I were, for
safety I'd quarter the turkey and then depending on the size of the
turkey I'd cook one or two parts at a time.
With a large roasting chicken I quarter it and roast it in a pan, most
times I portion it in eights... much easier method to serve a hot from
the oven roasted chicken. Sometimes the portioned chicken is placed
on a bed of veggies; spuds, celery, carrots, etc... saves having to
scrub a rack. It's been many years since I roasted a chicken whole. I
like to remove the backbone anyway, don't need spinal fluid flavoring.
I like to remove the rib bones too, easy to pull out cleanly with a
paper towel.