Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hank Rogers[_2_] Hank Rogers[_2_] is offline

Default I ordered a new rhubarb

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>>
>>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>>
>>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>> themselves are throw aways.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>> pie and kuchen.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> I have never tasted rhubarb.
>>

> I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
> popular in some regions.

It's nasty, bitter stuff. Seems popular in some areas as you say. Some
rural towns in the midwest especially.

I've ate (or tried to eat) some rhubarb pies there. All I could taste
was pure sugar. I think the stuff is so bitter and nasty tasting that a
hell of a lot of sugar is needed to try to make it palatable, but this
was a fail for me. I'd rather eat spoonfuls of pure cane sugar ... no
need for the nasty ass rhubarb.