Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Air Fryers

On 1/30/2019 10:57 AM, l not -l wrote:
>> I bought a*tube* of tomato paste some years ago after a lot of
>> discussion here about the convenience of those innovative tubes. The
>> contents of the*unopened* tube dried up before I ever had a chance to
>> use any of it. LOL

> I did similar and just yesterday I saw the tube of tomato paste in the
> fridge and wondered just how long the stuff would be useable. Tomatoes
> would be high in acid and probably sugar which would be preservative. It
> hadn't occurred to m that it might simply dry out; I'll check its status
> today. Thanks for posting this experience.

Maybe the problem is I didn't refrigerate it. I stored it in the
pantry, same as I would an unopened can of tomato paste. It surprised
the heck out of me to find the contents had dried up. Going forward
I'll stick with little cans of tomato paste going forward. All I ever
need is a teaspoon or so of it, that's why I thought the tube would be a
good idea. I guess I don't use it as much as I thought.

I've read you can freeze tomato paste. Since I obviously don't use it
often I'm not sure it would be worth trying.

Jill