Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_53_] Sqwertz[_53_] is offline

Default Jackfruit?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:41:00 -0800 (PST), Michael Nielsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Long time no see (again)
>
> Davis Food Coop posted a strange picture of a rice bowl with
> something looking like a meat beef stew on top. Then when reading
> the text it turns out to be a fruit called jackfruit!
>
> Did anyone try this? Is it savory? or still fruity sweet with a
> meaty texture?

The jackfruit fad was 8 months ago. It lasted about 2 months on
social media. Even my regular grocery store tried carrying them,
but not many people want to invest in a 35 pound piece of fruit.

But it'll be back again in a couple years, just like it was 2 years
ago. Some vegetarians rave about it (once), which means it's not
that great. It tastes like a less sweet and milder JuicyFruit gum
to me.

-sw