Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dinner Tonight 1/1/2019

On 1/9/2019 7:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 6:10:01 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

>>> If you are just hanging around the house you don't need that sort of
>>> weather information.Â* I don't like to get caught in the rain.Â* The radar
>>> may not be in your neighbourhood but they are close enough to get cloud
>>> and precipitation information.Â* The weather radars I look at are 30
>>> miles or more from me, but they are remarkably accurate.
>>>

>> The stuff I see on TV is in Savannah... I don't live in Georgia. I can
>> check weather radar on the computer but really, it's enough for me to
>> look out the window to know whether or not to fire up the grill.

> Ah, well. Not everybody is a nerd. I forgive you for being normal.

Thanks, I think. Mostly I'm not desirous of getting soaked just so I
can say I cooked something on the grill. It's also been very windy.
It's really not a good idea to deal with hot coals when it's windy and
the house has wood siding. Not to mention all the "tinder" around.
Fallen pine needles and the like. I do keep the stuff blown or swept
off the driveway but I'm not tempting fate with errant sparks when it's
windy.

> One of my favorite weather sites just has a big graph:
>
> <https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.2112&lon=-83.5999&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical>
>
> The models used by the National Weather Service aren't very good at
> predicting for this area, so I only use them for the next day or two.
> For a longer-range forecast, I use this:
>
> <http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMI0904>
>
> It has radar, so I can see what's coming.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I get it, you're a weather nerd. Nothing wrong with that! You do a
lot more grilling that I do.

Gary once mentioned it's odd I use my grill on the driveway. I store
the Weber kettle in the garage which is right off the kitchen. I roll
it out to the driveway when I want to use it. It just makes sense to be
right near the kitchen when going in and out to check on things. I have
a patio but it's on the other side of the house. I'd be carrying food
through the living room to and from the grill. I don't see much point
in that since I eat at a table in the kitchen. Logistics.

Jill