Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default We've become civilized

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:55:44 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 11:25:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-01-03 8:49 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> The first pod was dropped off two months earlier so we could make some
> >> space in the house for the realtor.Â* It was moved to a storage yard long
> >> before I had the second one brought.Â* It was stored locally so I did not
> >> have to pay for transport to Florida way sooner.
> >>
> >> There is no paperwork with signatures, it is done over the phone and no
> >> one has to be there for drop off or pickup.Â* Both were to be transported
> >> to FL at the same time for delivery the same day.

> >There are systems in place this days to make shipping and delivery a lot
> >more reliable. I had posted last week about my dryer dying on Christmas
> >day and decided to replace it rather than another expense repair on an
> >old dryer. I lucked out and caught a great deal on a Boxing Day sale
> >and ordered a Whirlpool. They checked the computer and confirmed they
> >had one in stock at their warehouse and it could be delivered Friday or
> >Saturday. I opted for Saturday because I have Friday commitments. I was
> >told I would get an automated call about delivery time. That came on
> >Thursday night and advised it would be delivered between 12 and 3pm
> >Saturday. Then I got a call at 1:20 pm Saturday saying the truck would
> >be here in 10 minutes. They showed up 10 minutes later.
> >
> >The driver explained that the notices are generated by his computer
> >tablet. As soon as they get the signature and snap a picture of the
> >appliance in position the system automatically calculates his travel
> >time to the next delivery and generates a call. What a difference
> >between today and my truck driving days 35 years ago. I was out of sight
> >and out of mind. If anyone was wondering about my delivery time they had
> >to call the shop and have them radio me, or our other crews could radio
> >me. Even then I would only get that if I were near the radio.

> I spoke to my neighbor accross the road this morning and asked him
> about his experience with PODS. He said a designated person had to be
> there to receive the empty POD, a designated person had to be there
> for the pick up of the loaded POD, and a designated person had be
> there to receive the loaded POD at the destination... and at each
> point someone had to sign and the POD driver takes a photo. Nowadays
> when the UPS driver drops off a delivery that doesn't require a
> signature they take a photo of the parcel at the door... same as your
> dryer experience. Delivery people don't just drop things off/pick
> things up and leave unless it's something of little value. I get
> deliveries from Amazon most every day, with expensive items the driver
> needs a signature... yesterday the parcel was four tins of hand cream,
> cost $5 per, no signature required, day before it was the straps for
> my eyeglasses, no sig required, but when I ordered a flat screen TV or
> [...]

Home deliveries are the future. Homes are going to need a receiving area for deliveries. You allow access into the area through your cell phone which connects to a video system. Perhaps there'll have a standard docking station for robo-deliveries. In that case, you'll get a notification of the delivery. I could use one of those. I've come home to find AC compressors and car mufflers at my front door. So far, I've been lucky.