Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default We've become civilized

On 2019-01-03 8:49 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The first pod was dropped off two months earlier so we could make some
> space in the house for the realtor.Â* It was moved to a storage yard long
> before I had the second one brought.Â* It was stored locally so I did not
> have to pay for transport to Florida way sooner.
>
> There is no paperwork with signatures, it is done over the phone and no
> one has to be there for drop off or pickup.Â* Both were to be transported
> to FL at the same time for delivery the same day.

There are systems in place this days to make shipping and delivery a lot
more reliable. I had posted last week about my dryer dying on Christmas
day and decided to replace it rather than another expense repair on an
old dryer. I lucked out and caught a great deal on a Boxing Day sale
and ordered a Whirlpool. They checked the computer and confirmed they
had one in stock at their warehouse and it could be delivered Friday or
Saturday. I opted for Saturday because I have Friday commitments. I was
told I would get an automated call about delivery time. That came on
Thursday night and advised it would be delivered between 12 and 3pm
Saturday. Then I got a call at 1:20 pm Saturday saying the truck would
be here in 10 minutes. They showed up 10 minutes later.

The driver explained that the notices are generated by his computer
tablet. As soon as they get the signature and snap a picture of the
appliance in position the system automatically calculates his travel
time to the next delivery and generates a call. What a difference
between today and my truck driving days 35 years ago. I was out of sight
and out of mind. If anyone was wondering about my delivery time they had
to call the shop and have them radio me, or our other crews could radio
me. Even then I would only get that if I were near the radio.