Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does CBD Really Do Anything?

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 5:18:54 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "GM" wrote in message
>
> https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...pYVpXTQVFac2Fk
>

> "Does CBD Really Do Anything?
>
> As marijuana is legalized in more and more states, the wellness world has
> whipped itself into a frenzy over a non-intoxicating cannabis derivative
> called cannabidiol. CBD products can be found on the internet and in
> health-food stores, wellness catalogs and even bookstores. (A bookstore in
> downtown Boulder, Colorado, displays a case of CBD products between the cash
> register and the stacks of new releases.) Celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow,
> disgraced cyclist1 Floyd Landis and former Denver Broncos quarterback Jake
> Plummer are all touting CBD products, and according to Bon Appétit,
> CBD-infused lattes have become the wellness worlds new favorite drink.
>
> But, uh, what is it that CBD is supposed to do? I visited a cannabis
> dispensary in Boulder to find out what the hype was all about. After passing
> an ID check, I was introduced to a budtender who pointed me to an
> impressive array of CBD products tinctures, skin patches, drink powders,
> candies, salves, massage oil, lotions, sexy time personal intimacy oil and
> even vaginal suppositories to treat menstrual cramps.
>
> Most of these products promised to relieve pain or otherwise enhance
> well-being, and none of it was cheap. (Prices started at about $30.) But I
> wanted to know: Does any of this stuff really work? After a deep dive into
> the scientific research, I learned that the answer was a big fat maybe.
>
> Although theres enticing evidence that good ol cannabis can ease chronic
> pain and possibly treat some medical conditions, whether CBD alone can
> deliver the same benefits remains an open question. What is clear, at this
> point, is that the marketing has gotten way ahead of the science.
>
> Cannabinoids are a class of compounds that interact with receptors
> throughout your body. CBD is just one of dozens of cannabinoids found in
> cannabis, including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the one responsible
> for marijuanas famous high. Medical cannabis is technically any cannabis
> product used for medicinal purposes, and these can contain THC or CBD or
> both, said Nick Jikomes, a neuroscientist at Leafly, a website that provides
> information about legal cannabis. A common mistake people make is to think
> that CBD is "the medical cannabinoid and THC is "the recreational
> cannabinoid. Thats inaccurate, he said, because THC is a potent
> anti-inflammatory and can be helpful for pain.
>
> What makes CBD so appealing is that its non-intoxicating, so it wont get
> you high, though it is technically psychoactive, because it can influence
> things like anxiety, Jikomes said. Although much of the marketing blitz
> around CBD centers on the fact that you can take it without getting stoned,
> there isnt much research looking at the effects of CBD when used in
> isolation, with a couple of exceptions. One is the use of CBD to treat
> [...]

One thing it does appear to do is interfere with metabolism of various
drugs, including antidepressants, resulting in higher-than-expected levels
of those drugs in the blood stream.

I've been researching medical marijuana. In the U.S., CBD oil is in
kind of a regulatory grey area, and a lot of its potency depends on
the manufacturer. You can get various levels of alleged potency; with or
without THC (which is the stuff that gets you high).

Cindy Hamilton