Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you knead on?

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > LOL! Had no dishwasher in that place. Didn't even have a dual
>> > sink.
>> >
>> > It was a '1 room' 27th floor place off Kuilea in Honolulu.
>> >

>> Dual sink is nice for washing dishes, but with a dishwasher, not
>> needed. I hated ours for years. New house has a nice deep single
>> that can take a large pan.

> No dishwasher there and no big sink. It was only a 1/2 sort with a
> disposal. Really small place but we made it work, Don and I.
> Charlotte was not to come along for another 7 years.

My weirdest kitchen was when I lived above the dance studio. This was
essentially it.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ram4=846947439

This stove:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ram4=846947439

There was a strange piece of counter such as the one with the curved end
here except that the top was red and the wood part was black. The pole at
the end angled in and the shelves got progressively smaller to the point of
being useless except to hold small things. IIRC, I had a napkin holder on
the top shelf, salt and pepper shakers on the middle shelf and a kick knack
on the bottom shelf. The piece of counter was about 3.5 feet long and
somehow attached to the floor but there were no cabinets on either side. I
kept my trash can and a bin of things like potatoes and onions next to that.
My stereo was on the other side of it and I had a Peaches Record crate at
the other side.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ram4=846947439

My fridge was an old while one (stove was brown), somewhat small and had to
be defrosted. I had shelves above the sink. My canisters were a red and
black plaid. I bought flannel fabric that matched them. I made curtains to
cover the shelves and more curtains to hang in the kitchen window.

What I kept on the shelves we A package of pasta, popcorn (until I got
braces on my teeth), Crisco, oil, herbs/spices, small baking things, a few
cans of veggies, tomato sauce, maybe a can or two of soup, rice, and usually
not much else.

I did a lot of baking so my extra flour and sugar, nuts and dried fruit were
in a bin on top of the fridge.

There was a free standing corner hutch that held my dishes, mixing bowls and
serving pieces.

There was a wall up built in cupboards in the living room. These held lines,
casseroles and other kitchen stuff.

It was my smallest kitchen and yet perfect for cooking baking because of the
double ovens and I had a large table at the open end of the kitchen. I used
the small piece of counter to mix dough and cool cookies on. If I was only
making a small batch of cookies or pasta, I could use the counter with waxed
paper on it to roll out the dough. I didn't like to roll it out directly on
the counter because I felt with the metal edge, I could never get it super
clean. Otherwise I had that big table to work on.