Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default What's on your Christmas Dinner Menu?

On 12/21/2018 11:36 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 19 Dec 2018 09:58:59p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Even if you don't celebrate Christmas (please don't lets get into
>> a religous debate!) do you plan to cook anything special on or
>> about December 25th?
>>
>> I am going to cook a small standing rib roast. Season well with
>> S&P. Cut slits in the top of the roast and stud it with slivers of
>> garlic. Pat with dried thyme. Drizzle a little neutral oil to set
>> the seasonings.
>>
>> Place it in the oven at fairly high heat to begin with, then turn
>> it down and let it cook on very low heat for a couple of hours.
>>
>> I had a recipe my mother cut out of a newspaper about cooking
>> standing rib roast. It involved cranking up the oven then turning
>> the oven completely off and just letting the roast sit there. DO
>> NOT Open the oven door. I remeber that!
>>
>> I've got the hand written recipe around here someplace. It really
>> did make for a perfect prime rib roast. The slices graduated from
>> well done at the ends to beautiful medium-rare in the middle.
>> Absolutely juicy and tender througout.
>>
>> I'm going to be buying a much smaller roast this year so I'm
>> winging the cooking times. I'll start it out hot and turn it way
>> down. Yes, I have an instant read meat thermometer. I'll be
>> hoping for no more than medium rare on this rib roast.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> We've been using the method you mother found in the newspaper for
> around 30 years. It seems to always be a areliable way tho get the
> resulots you expect.

It works very well. Don't forget to stud the roast with slivers of
garlic! Best done with a five rib roast. Set the (electric) oven to
highest heat (525F). Then turn the oven completely off for a few hours.
Turn it back on at 325F and roast for another 30 to 45 minutes.

It always comes out perfectly for those who want well done (at the ends
- I'm not a fan of well done beef) graduating to medium rare in the
middle. This year I'll be making a smaller roast so I'll cut down the
cooking time.

Mostly what I find these days is rib roast with the bones cut then tied
back on. What's the point of that? I want the roast to be on the bone.
It tastes so much better. IMHO.

> This Christmas we're having a slow-roasted brisket, potato latkes,
> sweet & sour red cabbage, and roasted green beans. David will have
> pumpkin pie and I will have mince pie.

Enjoy! Happy Holidays to you and David.

Jill