Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Ideas for Canned Mackerel?

In article >, lid
says...

> I need to consume large amounts of protein tomorrow morning for a
> blood test. I'm often failing the protein test by .1 (5.9 when 6.0
> is required) even though I cram for it. I bought some protein
> drinks, and 15oz cans of salmon and mackerel (already ate the 12oz
> can of tuna tonight).

Mackerel pate.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...3/tinned-fish-
recipes-sardines-anchovies

" 2 120-125g cans mackerel fillets in oil, or similar canned oily fish
fillets
1 tsp English mustard
1 tbsp creme fraiche
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper Wholemeal toast or oatcakes, to
serve

"Drain the oil from the cans of mackerel, and tip the fish into the
bowl of a food processor. Add the mustard, creme fraiche, cayenne, some
black pepper and a good squeeze of lemon. Blitz to a thick paste,
stopping several times along the way to scrape down the sides of the
processor. Taste and add salt, if necessary (the canned fish is already
quite salty), and more pepper or lemon juice, if you like.

Serve the pté spread thickly on toast or oatcakes"

A favourite instant snack of mine, is canned sardines (in oil, not
the tomato sauce ones) mashed up, spread on hot buttered toast; squeeze
over some fresh lemon juice.

I'm jealous you get to stuff your face before blood tests; mine
requires a 12 hour fast :-)

Janet UK