Paul Kierstead

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I'd use citric acid as a first choice, then lemon juice, then vinegar.
> Citric acid will make it more "sour"; i.e., acidic and safer for
> processing, without affecting the "flavor". Lemon juice and vinegar
> will add some flavor. And you have to use twice as much vinegar as
> lemon juice. Before I started using citric acid, I used lemon juice and
> did not notice any objectionable taste changes.

Thanks for the reply and info!! Many thanks for the information and
feedback from you and others. I am still a ways from doing it, but would
feel better about planting a bunch of tomato plants next year. Maybe
even this year as tomato's are quite cheap right now.

> This is from the NCHFP site about canning tomatoes:

This is where I got the original information. Of course, such dry texts
are always worried about the processing of food, less about the taste.
Hence most commercial food products, I guess.