Michael Plant

Alex igy.com9/17/04

> Let us say I have a problem. In 1981 when I was detained by KGB (it was the
> time of contra-detente) I told the interrogating officer that I believe that
> USSR will fell apart within 10 years. He laughed and told me that playing an
> idiot won't help me. I told him that I am not playing anything - he can ask
> around - I came to this conclusion the moment we invaded Afghanistan. In my
> analysis the slightest hope that USSR will be able to survive another 25-50
> years was shattered the day it happened.

Having visited Afghanistan, gotten to know the people somewhat, and having
studied the history of Afghanistan, I came to the same conclusion at that
time. Great minds think alike, you see. Now, predictions on the demise of
the United States, anyone?

> He made several calls and found out that I did say that many times. His
> attitude changed immediately. I was not an enemy - I was just sick in my
> head. He was nice. He was compassionate. And you know what? He let me go.
> Honestly, I swear, he just let me go. I have many witnesses of me telling
> everybody that USSR is no more way back in 1981 and of course later. And
> absolute majority of my friends be they pro- or anti-Soviet with a tiny-tiny
> exception of one or two - believed that I was an idiot.
>
> See, Michael, there are two ways to argue - address your opponent's
> arguments and dismantle them or put out your own that contradict your
> opponents arguments. Anything else is a political confrontation when
> everybody knows the result ahead of the time, people just make statements.
> So if that what you want to do- fine. But if you want to have a good,
> serious discussion about the matter - please, ARGUE. With arguments. Then,
> at the end you will probably find out that nobody has a problem - people
> just come to different conclusions because they evaluate things differently
> and have different view angles. And you won't have to suggest that I am
> crazy.

On the contrary. Here I like discussions about tea; although, I must admit
that my feeble attempts not to bore others sometimes fail.

> I'd love to meet that KGB guy, Major Kapustin some day. Thank him for
> letting me go and ask him what did it take for him to see that the King is
> naked and actually - dead....

....And, according to current events, much like democracy in our two
countries. Putin and Bush, hatched from the same egg, I sometimes think.
Sorry, not to belabor this.

I'm drinking a 1988 Pu-erh which can be tempermental, but never disappoints.
It's mint/camphor/light earth/touchingly sweet/gentle, but its complexity
varies with my health and my mood. While not an extraordinary tea, it does
present a good picture most likely of a fifteen year old.

Michael