Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default Swedish Rye Bread?

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 8:34:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "tert in seattle" wrote in message news >
> writes:
> >

> >"tert in seattle" wrote in message news > >
> writes:

> >>miso!
> >>
> >>==
> >>
> >>I think I got a bit mixed up with my last response.
> >>
> >>Do you make it yourself or have you used the packs that Dsi1 mentioned?
> >>
> >>If you use the packs, how do you find them?

> >I never make miso - I only eat it at Japanese restaurants
> >
> >the reason it's so good is katsuobushi
> >
> >==
> >
> >Thanks I did look up your 'katsuobushi' but i don't think it is for me
> >
> >I can get miso in the supermarkts here. Next time I go shopping I will
> >pick
> >up a pack and see how it turns out

> I know katsuobushi seems bizarre, and you don't eat it straight except
> as flakes that are shaved off the rock hard dried fish that are sprinkled
> on things as a sort of condiment, but it's really very tasty
>
> ==
>
> Ok well! If I ever see it, I will try it, but tbh I doubt it will be in the
> shops here

I've never seen katsuobushi in whole form. I don't know why the hell it's not sold on this rock. Katsuobushi is bonito that is dried, smoked, fermented, and aged. This turns the fish into a hard, glassy, material. It's amazing stuff and I've read that the same process can be done on other meats. It would be interesting to beef or chicken processed this way.