Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default What's a substitute for Pernod?

On 11/25/2018 6:38 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 5:56:24 PM UTC-5, Kris wrote:
>> Good evening all,
>>
>> I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.
>>
>> I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
>> What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Kris

> I am also in a Pernod fix. Can't justify buying a $70 bottle of alcohol for 1 Tablespoon required for a recipe - another Ina Garten recipe I should add, from her recipe book: How Easy is That? The recipe is Roasted Shrimp with Feta. I have some pure Anise extract and a good airline sized bottle of Vodka from Estonia. On the side of teh Anise extract it says 1/2 tsp. extract = 1 tbsp anise liqueur. Maybe I don't need to Vodka after all...

Most anything with anise should do.
Pernod belongs to the family of spirits whose flavor is dominated by the
aroma of anise. Other members of the family include anisette, Greek
ouzo, Turkish raki, and pastis, which is flavored with licorice as well
as anise. Anise spirits differ widely in their alcoholic strength and
sweetness.