Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default More Veggies!

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > On 11/19/2018 9:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> >

> >> Grin, for years Sheldon would remonstrate with me for our lower

> meat >> eating habits. Typically a 2.5-3lb chicken feeds the 3 of us
> with >> leftovers. He used to claim that was a single Sailor serving
> (I >> seem to recall once he said it took 2 of that size for a
> sailor).
> > >
> >> We waste little here but also for both our habits and health, eat
> >> less meat than average. The sides are the 'star' overall and meat
> >> tends to be more of a garnish serving of 3oz.
> > >

> > Sounds sensible to me. Healthy, economical and ecologically better.
> > I've been trying to eat more like that but I never got into veggies
> > all that much.

> The veggies just sort of grew with ones we liked. No stress
> development used at all. We didnt set out to use more of any one
> vegetable but i do admit we wanted to get closer to 1 cup a day of
> veggies and take the 2cups a day of rice down a bit to match.
>
> we are now at about 1.5 cup a day combined pasta/rice/potato starches
> and pretty close to 3 cups veggies. Add 1/2 cup fruit 1/4cup dairy
> cheeses) and 4-5oz meat and that is us. Harmlessly odd of us for this
> group.
>
> You see lots of folks adding veggies though. I think it is Jill wth
> the roasted cabbage with just a little oil or some sort? (apologies if
> wrong person attributed but it sounds like an idea I want to try).
>
> I think when folks do not add them, it's because they try to be too
> fancy. Like 'white sauce required' and all that. Some want to tell
> you that you can't have simple green greens until you do some arcane
> stuff with butter and garlic then they have to be fresh ones. Screw
> that. Sure I like fresh ones but I'll use frozen or even canned at
> need.
>
> ==
>
> LOL good for you)

Well today with so much meat about, dinner was a respite to something
lighter on the digestion yet using up some of the leftovers we kept and
a few bits from the fridge. Critical maybe is if I had more of some of
these things, I'd have used more. This however is just using up all
the odd bits.

Recipes below are approximate in measurements but they aren't the sort
that need to be exact anyways! Feeds 3 adults, took about 20 minutes
total if you are efficient in the kitchen and you start in the order I
listed (rice takes the longest for example).

Simple homey soup
1 quart chicken broth (we used Dashi as out of chicken broth)
7 mussels (meats from New Zeland, frozen type without shell)
Leftover Sea Bass (about 4oz. I cooked 2 as 1 wasn't enough)
1/4c cooked shelled shrimp (rinsed of the hot seafood sauce)
2 lovely yellow summer squash, sliced thin
3 roasted brussels sprouts, cut to 1/4 wedges
1/2 ts miso (pale tan)
a fistful of dry long grain rice (1/8 cup? Bit more?)
Dry udon noodle (about 1 cup cooked)

Corn dish:
2 ears of corn cut to 1/3 each, steamed for T-day and re-steamed to heat

Carrot Medley
Most of a lb of carrots, made big happy piles with the peeler
1 Zucchini (green summer squash), cut to thin 1/2 moons
2 red bell peppers, cut to strips
1 small red onion, diced
Olive oil to coat then briefly tossed in a HOT cast iron skillet
(cooking optional, it's pretty good as is for a different salad!)
(optional but great, black olives but was out)

Dessert: odd one but we liked it!
Mashed butternut squash (had about 1 cup leftover with some karo in it)
Cinnimon
Served on home made ice cream (simple coffee vanilla made week before)

Enjoy!

==

Well, you don't go hungry <g> I like all the veg.