Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default stew weather

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 11/22/2018 10:30 AM, Brice wrote:

> > > Veal was cheaper then as we had more small farmers who couldn;t
> > > over winter all the calves. Now with the mega-industry, it's
> > > marketed as a premium price.

> > Normally, large scale means prices go down, not up.
> >

> Normally, access to larger markets means prices go up for the
> producer.

This time prices for the consumer were a bit cheaper because the
farmers had to sell at almost a loss (small ones, not larger combines).
You'd get a mini-glut of it seasonally. I'm not sure if that lasted to
the 70's but one of my older cookbooks from the 50's refers to 'veal
season'.

There was also a book series (might have been Little House on the
Prarie? Not sure). About life on a small farm and there's a
scene/chapter about selecting which calves would be worth wintering
over. There's side discussion on barn space and a barn raising.