Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default stew weather

http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...mous-beef-stew

>>> We prefer pot roast to stew... identical only the meat is sliced at
>>> the end. And we don't like the meat over cooked so it becomes
>>> strings. Often I'll pull the meat out before it's over cooked and
>>> refrigerate it. When cold it's easier to slice and then can be put
>>> back to heat. I like to use whole canned tomatoes in puree
>>> broken up, those canned diced tomatoes have little flavor and are
>>> packed in water. And rather than wine I add a can of beer.
>>>

>> Yes, Sheldon, you prefer pot roast that is sliced. It's not the same
>> thing as stew.
>>
>> Jill

> Stew and pot roast is exactly the same, only difference is the meat
> size.... and both begin exactly alike; brown the meat. All stew and
> pot roast recipes are interchangeable. I use top round for stew and
> pot roast.

Yes, we know you prefer top round. I prefer chuck roast. My pot roast
doesn't have as much liquid as the one you posted.

> My mom used to make my favorite stew, Veal Stew. Sometimes it was
> veal pot roast (braised veal). I never did get her recipe. Both
> contained carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms, but no potatoes, it
> was served on a bed of wide egg noodles. I tried to make it but it
> turned out very different.... I've no idea which cut of veal she used
> or which seasonings.

Maybe you should have asked her while she was still alive. I'm
fortunate in that I asked my mom about some things and she wrote some
recipes down for me.

> We had veal often; veal chops, breast of veal...
> I never see veal chops or breast of veal at markets. I think veal
> chops are better than pork chops, and a million times more edible than
> lamb chops.

I love veal but I don't use it to make stew. I can easily find veal
chops. Also veal scallops/cutlets. Veal scallopini or veal piccata is
wonderful.

We all know you don't like lamb. I love it. Lamb chops, lamb shanks.
I've never roasted a leg of lamb but I'm sure I could if I wanted to.

Jill