Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Millennials are disrupting Thanksgiving with their tiny turkeys

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 17:55:21 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 17-Nov-2018, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2018 7:08 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...z&OCID=U457DHP

>> What's with this "wasteful leftovers" crap!?
>>
>> There are NO wasted leftovers on any of my turkeys. Turkey sammies with
>> a good mayo and Cranberry Jelly are to die for. In fact, many folks
>> cook a whole "large" turkey jes so they will have plenty of "leftovers".
>>
>> Millennial's are idiots. I give you the "man bun", as proof.
>>
>> My late M-I-L taught me how to make turkey soup w/ noodles. That poor
>> bird didn't come away wasting anything. Rendered it right down to the
>> bones (which I pick out and toss).

>I simmer the carcass until it literally falls apart; then pick any remaining
>meat off the bones and end up with a nice pile of turkey scraps and a big
>batch of gelatinous turkey broth. So, there is turkey noodle soup and
>turkey tetrazzini to be made from the carcass and foisted off on my children
>on a coupld of our Sunday family meals. Then there are sandwiches of
>several varieties to be made from the extra breast meat and turkey ala king
>from dark meat. Of course, by December 1st, I never want to hear about, see
>or eat turkey again. All those dishes mentioned to use up left overs must
>be spread across the coming year; so, into the freezer the turkey remnants
>go.
>
>Now, It is about a week before Thanksgiving, and another damn turkey, and I
>still have 12 ounces of turkey meat in the freezer from last year (vacuum
>sealed, of course).
>
>I am not a fan of turkey, never have been and most likely never will be.
>There are so many better meats in this world, even birds that are much
>better. Tradition, bah, humbug! A tiny turnkey is a brilliant solution to
>a tradition with too much inertia to be stopped. My only objection is, a 6
>pound turkey might be a little big for my family - I'm rooting for
>individual Cornish Game Turkey's, about 1 pound each.

making additional dishes with turkey just makes more turkey leftovers.
For years I suffered through turkey soup because it was the thing to
do. I don't like the taste of turkey broth/soup. I don't make T soup
anymore. And turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce? Uh, no.
Janet US