Melba's Jammin'

In article
e.rogers.com>,
"f/256" > wrote:

> "f/256" > wrote in message
> . cable.rogers.com...
> >
> > Is boiling and/or pressure cooking of the filled jar really needed?
> > How do people in this NG do it?

> I am the originator of this thread. After reading all of the replies
> to my question and because I couldn't find a pressure canner capable
> of more than doing 6 liter jars at once, I ended up doing the boiling
> water bath process. Now we can still share tomato sauce with our
> amigos, not just with enemies
> :-)

Good. You've discovered that the regulars here are generally
conservative in our processing methods. Even if "they've always done it
this way and no one. . . yet." Operative word is "yet."

> If I may change the topic a little bit: After filling the jars with
> the hot sauce, placing the lids and rings, how tight should the rings
> be? I read that they should be "finger tight", but I really quite
> don't get what that really means. If I translate that to my own
> language, it means: "as tight as you can get it using your finger",
> the problem is that I can get it really tight, so tight that my petit
> wife can not un-screw the ring. Is the intention, perhaps, just to
> tight it as tight I as I can get it using just the very tip of the
> fingers.
>
> I know this is a silly question, but if I am going to go to the
> trouble of BWB, I must as well do every single step of the process as
> per the instructions.
>
> Guillermo (got 2 more bushels to process)

Nope, it's not a silly question. It's quite reasonable.
I tighten using my thumb and middle finger. That tight. :-) Not so
tight that a jar wrench is necessary to unscrew. Tight enough that it's
on firmly but you could still crank it maybe 1/8 or 1/4 turn if you
tried.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-18-04; Sushi Story
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."