Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Again, I ate lunch at the best Indian restaurant in STL!!

Brice wrote:

> I'd have thought a New Age, environmentally conscious man like you
> would prefer this:
> https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/vegan-tofu-biryani

Here's a thought, Bruce. Rather than preaching anti-meat and evil
ingredient lists constantly and acting all superior and very
annoying, if you eat constantly from scratch and all healthy, why
not start posting some good tried vegetarian/vegan recipes of
your own?

I like that food. Rather than annoying everyone here with your
constant blah blah critisism, post some good recipes and stop
being such a troll.

Let me start with a repost. It's vegan pea soup and to die for.
No need to "kill a pig" for this dish. Seems that no one else
here believes that pea soup will taste good without pork. oh
well, their loss. YOU might be one that like it though.

Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potato (or Butternut Squash)
1 16oz package of dried green split peas
9 cups water
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt

Simmer these, covered, in a soup pot for about 2 hours until peas
have cooked down to a smooth consistancy. Remove the bay leaves.
**note - you don't have to pre-soak the peas**
Prepare the following:

3 T. vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
4 medium sweet potatoes (or 1 medium butternut squash),
...peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 tsp. salt (or leave this out if you prefer)
2 tsp. dried mustard
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. tarragon

In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the oil.
When the onions are tender, add all the remaining vegetables
and spices. Saute for 4-5 minutes, then add 1 cup of water
and let simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender.

Add the vegetables to the cooked peas and simmer for 30 minutes,
stirring often.

After serving, add a little salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
You can eat this right away or let it sit awhile (or overnight)
and
it will thicken more. (I never wait!!!)
This recipe makes about a gallon of soup. What we don't eat
in 2 or 3 days, I freeze in serving-size containers.
Here's the nutritional info for the total batch using sweet
potato's.
Slightly less calories if you use the butternut squash instead.

Fat: 43 grams
Carbohydrates: 435 grams
Protein: 124 grams

Total calories: 2,121 (18% fat calories)

(remember that info is for the whole batch, not individual
servings)