RC

Default The methylxanthines (alkaloids in coffee, etc.) are ANNOYING!

Shyne wrote:
> ...In times when you don't want them (which is 99.9% of the time for me, as
> I am basically a non-drug/alcohol/tobacco/caffeine user - i.e., I only eat
> food and beverages with no mind-altering properties) that is.
>
> Basically I am really annoyed how often I have to _specifically check_ what
> foods and beverages I consume to make sure they don't contain any IRRITATING
> compounds. For example, today I had a couple candy bars (chocolate
> containing) and I had trouble getting relaxed in the evening, thanks to the
> irritants (caffeine, etc) in these candy bars. I'm someone who has dealt
> with mental health issues in the past (in my teens and early 20's) and I
> just recently (4 months ago) quit cannabis, caffeine, and psychiatric
> medications (Risperdal and Effexor) all cold turkey, all at once.
>
> I now try my best every day to live a healthy lifestyle and exercise when I
> can on my days off. What really ****es me off is how our society has such a
> relaxed attitude towards caffeine and its related alkaloids, when in fact
> they are probably one of the biggest causes of heart disease - which is in
> fact the #1 killer of human beings in the United States.
>
> I have come to the conclusion that the U.S. Government only legalizes the
> consumables which are the most deadly, so essentially they are mass
> murderers. Alcohol is a poison, caffeine is toxic, and nicotine is a
> poison. On the other hand, everything that is _illegal_ has some or many
> medicinal uses to keep people healthy, whether that be spiritually or
> physically - cannabis is the most healthy plant known to mankind, coca
> leaves are one of the most nutricious of plants, and opium poppies have
> thousands of medicinal uses. And they are all illegal for citizens to
> possess or consume. Ironic, isn't it...

Read "Sugar Blues" and you'll lay off the candy bars as well. Good luck
to you. Getting off risperdal and effexor is a brave propostition. You
survived the cold turkey approach, lucky you. With many medications
dispenses for mental health a cold turkey approach can lead to
complications.

Cayenne pepper is an irritant as well but is used to treat a variety of
conditions due to its ability to increase circulation as a direct result
of its irritating properties. One man's poison is another man's
medicine. I use caffeine as an adjunct in my treatment of migraines. I
find Guatamelan, Sumatran and Kona varieties the most palatable ways of
consuming it. I usually use a vacuum pot setup to please the hidden
chemist in me.