The Old Bear

Default Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe

Nancy Young > writes:

>From: Nancy Young >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat
>Subject: Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe
>Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:43:01 -0500
>
>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
>> the local grocery stores.

>Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride
>in the blender.

Bran cereal like "Bran Buds" or "100% Bran" or "All-Bran" consist of
whole wheat bran and sugar (and some malt, corn syrup sweetener, salt
and "enriched" with vitamins and minerals).

Grape Nuts, on the other hand, are quite hard and crunchy. They are
made from wheat flour (rather than wheat bran) and sweeteners and are
manufactured by baking, made into crumbs and finally toasted until
hard. Grape Nuts are much lower in fiber than the bran cereals.

Generally, ready-to-eat commercial bran cereals are used in making
bran muffins because they are widely available and easy to moisten and
fold into the muffin batter. But their function is to add wheat bran
fiber and they provide a little sweetener as a bonus.

You should be able to substitue wheat bran (usually available where
health foods are sold, or sold as a cooked cereal to be prepared like
oatmeal, or sometimes with baking supplies.) Just soak the wheat
bran in place of the Bran Buds cereal and increase the amount of
sugar in the recipe.

Cheers,
The Old Bear