Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Death of American Cheese?

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 10/12/2018 4:10 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> jmcquown > wrote:

>>> Meltability is a good thing. I like actual American cheese. The
>>> kind you can get in the deli section of the supermarket. Not processed
>>> American "cheese-food".
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Me too, but it saddens me how many people think American cheese is
>> nothing
>> more than Kraft singles.
>>

> Sadly, that seems to be the case. American cheese isn't limited to Kraft
> individually wrapped slices of plasticized cheese food.
>
> I'm thrilled "young people" are discovering imported cheeses. But that's
> not a reason to declare ware on *real* American cheese. I'm sure lots of
> dairy farmers would agree with me.
>
> Look at the places the article is talking about. Wendy's. Panera Bread.
> I've eaten at Cracker Barrel but I never ordered their mac & cheese.
> These are millenials who don't cook. Despite the article, they don't get
> to dictate what's available for me to buy at the store.

I'm not a cheese snob although I have found a few to be too sharp or mild
for my tastes. I generally buy whatever I find the best deal on. If I get
something that's too sharp, I can mix it with mild or vice versa. I do keep
certain ones almost all the time. Those would be med. cheddar, Swiss, gouda,
mozzarella, Parmesan and Feta.