Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Dinner tonight

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 13:16:04 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:43:16 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> I bought one of those upright smokers for my middle brother back in the
>> 1980's. He decided it would be a great idea to smoke the Thanksgiving
>> turkey. (He also thought it was a great idea to go out partying with
>> his friends until 3AM.) He dragged himself out of bed around 6AM to get
>> it started. I forget what type of wood chips he used in the water pan.
>> Well, it was so freaking cold outside the coals wouldn't stay lit.
>>
>> He thought he'd be able to just let the smoker do its thing and he could
>> catch some zzzz's. It didn't work out that way. LOL
>>
>> I'm already not a fan of turkey (although if forced I'll take some meat
>> from the drumstick). That smoked turkey tasted awful. No good using
>> the meat for leftovers like turkey tetrazzini or turkey pot pie, either.
>> Live and learn!
>>
>> Jill
>>

>The more I read online reviews the more I think I'll just stick with the
>charcoal Weber grill and do my smoking on it. So many just average reviews
>and manufacturers not standing about their smokers when they die after 5 uses.

That hasn't been my experience. I've had the propane fired upright
smoker for 4 or 5 years and replaced it with an electric one so that I
could have a smoker that was basically self-tending right outside my
back door.
Get a smoker from either QVC or Costco. I got mine from QVC when they
start selling for Christmas (along about Sept. or so) and the deal is
that you can return anything, even if used, until January 30. (They
had it for 6 payments, I got the smoker right away, and free shipping
and handling) Costco basically takes anything back anytime. Both
places sell competitively priced smokers. I'm talking about
Masterbuilt brand smokers. I've had my electric smoker for 4+ years
I take online reviews with a grain of salt. Some people really
shouldn't be allowed around equipment of any kind and others post
reviews just because they like to damage names and reps.
Janet US