Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Trick for keeping food fresh....

On 7/29/2018 10:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
>> Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and
>> don't really need this trick, I admit.
>>
>> Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage
>> problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same
>> things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn
>> problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery
>> bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.
>>
>> I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for
>> the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries
>> with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I
>> had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for
>> groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and
>> solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate
>> because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)
>>

>> Lenona.
>>

> Groceries aside, decluttering is good.Â* Getting redy to move, I've not
> sold anything but have given away a lot of stuff we don't need and have
> not used for a long time.Â* Much went to the Salvation Army Thrift store.
>
> Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away.Â* Funny how
> fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
> and we are not on a buys street.

When moving here I did my best to de-clutter. (Why move stuff and
*then* figure out how to get rid of it?) I was able to curb-cycle a lot
of things (wasn't on a busy street, either). Other items were donated
to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

> We eat leftovers and I try to get a maximum of another dinner and a
> lunch from them.Â* Too much gets boring.Â* Exceptions are lasagna as if
> freezes well.Â* Nice to have a ready made meal some nights.

Good freezer containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) can help prevent
freezer burn. Also, clearly label and date the containers (I write it
on Scotch tape with a Sharpie). Rotate the items so the older leftovers
are used first.

I don't always feel like cooking. Next Tuesday I have to get a root
canal and a temporary crown. I'm pretty sure I won't feel like cooking
after that. It will be nice to have a ready made meal in the freezer.

Jill