Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Trick for keeping food fresh....

On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
> Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.
>
> Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.

Well wrapped food in tightly sealed freezer bags, or good storage
containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) do a good job of preventing
freezer burn. Some folks swear by a vacuum sealer/food saver. Items
are clearly labelled and dated (scotch tape & a sharpie on the
container). I regularly rotate items in the freezer so that older items
get used first.

> I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)
>

> Lenona.

I've been selling off items with an eye towards decluttering for years.
After my brothers took what they wanted from the house I was still left
with a lot of things I didn't really need. If someone is willing to pay
for it, I'm sure not going to complain.

Jill