Posted to rec.food.preserving
pheasant16 pheasant16 is offline

Default Salt free pickles

On 7/26/2018 7:25 AM, songbird wrote:
> pheasant16 wrote:
>> Doc says low salt.
>>
>> Have to say good bye to my fermented dills.
>>
>> Have been looking at various recipes for no salt dills. Realize I'm
>> going to have to use vinegar for the first time in 20 years.
>>
>> Anyone have any particular favorite recipes to share.

> how are you with sugar?
>
> i just use apple cider vinegar and mix it roughly
> 1 part with 2 parts water or stronger (up to half and
> half) depending upon how tightly i pack the jars.
>
> the salt and sugar i add are for flavoring. if
> you really like crisp try Pickle Crisp as that
> supposedly helps and may be even more noticeably
> different in pickles done without salt.
>
> i add salt and a little sugar to the brine i use
> but i wouldn't mind leaving them out either if i
> had to.
>
> and dill, plenty of dill.
>

> songbird

Sugar is no issue.
Do you can them or just throw 'em in the fridge?
Found a website in Minnesota called Healthy Heart Market that has a
decent one, but paying 5-6 bucks a jar then adding shipping......
Yah calcium chloride to increase crispness is a thought.

I like your idea of a touch of sugar. That's one reason I always liked
the fermented ones, no vinegar. That's been the biggest adjustment for
the taste buds. But so glad to not have to give up a daily staple in my
diet.
Will do a couple jars in the fridge to find what I like then can if
that's acceptable. Am thinking though, that without salt, would you
need to pressure can or is the vinegar enough to kill the nasties?