Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default MSN: "10 Polite Habits That Restaurant Staffers Secretly Dislike"

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:20:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/19/2018 10:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 7/18/2018 7:52 PM, Alex wrote:
>>
>>> How many jobs have you had?* I'm 50 and I've had only five including
>>> McDonald's when I was a teen.

>> I had three as a teen, four as an adult.* 7 years, 11 years, 9 years, 27
>> years.* Left the first three because the business was sold/moved.

>I wonder why Alex is so concerned about my employment history? I know
>very few people who went into a job when they graduated who also stayed
>there until they reached retirement age. Businesses come and go;
>circumstances alter. People change jobs for various reasons. What does
>it matter?
>
>Jill

I started working for money at ten years old, my first real job was
delivering Rx drugs for Whalens Drug Store in Brooklyn. Since then I
must have had 40-50 jobs. I really don't know how many but that's why
toolboxes have handles, until my last job where I worked for 25 years,
Brookhaven National Laboratory; BNL.gov... and then I retired. I've
taken jobs that I quit the first day because they sucked.
The latest on the news is that there are thousands of good paying jobs
going begging because young folks don't have the skills. Doesn't
matter that they are thinking of creating apprenticeship programs, can
take 5 years to learn a trade and not everyone has the apptitude to
learn a trade, in fact very few HS graduates have the apptitude or
they would have taken those jobs starting at the bottom right out of
HS same as I did. I served a formal 5 year apprenticeship for Tool &
Diemaker, never lost a day's work unless I chose to by taking a
vacation between jobs. Tool & Diemakers are well paid and earn a lot
of money moonlighting. I have friends who retired when I did but
outfitted their basement/garage with machine tools and earn $50Gs to
$100Gs every year moonlighting and tax free. I tired of that dirty
work so earned money being a landlord, was much cleaner collecting
cash. Real Estate was a much better investment than machine tools...
machine tools depreciate, real estate appreciates. Most top selling
realtors are female so I learned from the best, plus enjoyed the side
benefits.