Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default semi-hot item in cold fridge causes sour-ness

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 02:01:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> I've been watching old eps of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (USA
>> edition). More than once, I've seen Gordon tear into chefs fer not
>> knowing that putting a hot soup/sauce into a cold refrigerator makes sed
>> soup/sauce "sour". True?
>>
>> I've been doing this (putting semi-hot soup in fridge) fer years. IME,
>> letting soup/sauce cool on range-top prior to putting in refrigerator
>> cause item to spoil sooner. Yes? No?
>>
>> nb

>I generally let something cool to room temp if I can before putting it in
>the fridge but not for the reasons you mentioned. Putting something really
>hot next to cold food can cause that cold food to get to too high of a
>temp., and that can be bad. Like wilted lettuce or melted cheese.
>
>But... When I lived alone I would sometimes put an entire pot of chili or
>soup in the fridge, hot. In those days that pot of food was likely the only
>thing in there. I didn't keep much in the way of condiments or other foods
>in those days except perhaps for some cheese and produce. The soup never got
>sour.

During cold weather I place pots of hot food to cool down quickly
in my unheated garage, sometimes on my deck. I usually portion hot
soups into reusable plastic containers and put them on my deck when
it's well below freezing, but I lock them into an old ice chest so the
critters can't get to it. The next morning they're all frozen solid
and go into my basement freezer.
If it's only one or two portions a modern frost free fridge/freezer
can handle hot foods well but not large amounts.