Posted to rec.food.cooking
Graham Graham is offline

Default I guess I'll try Whole Foods between 7/14-17

On 2018-07-13 3:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-07-13 2:32 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> Greyhound has just announced that it will no longer serve Western
>> Canada - apart from the Seattle - Vancouver route that is operated by
>> the US arm.
>> Of course there are protests as some people in rural areas depend on
>> it from time to time. However, I've seen it coming as I have used the
>> freight service for 30 years and have seen the gradual drop in
>> ridership and the concomitant scheduling.

> Public vehicles had been heavily regulated for years.Â* Companies needed
> operating licenses to be able to haul passengers between certain points.
> Some of the runs were highly profitable and companies could not usually
> get the authority for the gravy runs without also taking on some money
> losing runs.Â* Enforcement of economic regulatory controls started to
> ease up years ago and the bus businessÂ* took on most of the oversight.
>
> It is interesting to see that so many people are upset about losing a
> bus service that is being pulled because no one was using it.

It happens everywhere and in other circumstances. For example, in the UK
if you close a village pub and try and convert it to a private
residence, all hell breaks loose. Villagers have it declared a
"community asset" despite the fact that they weren't patronising the
place and causing it to go out of business. Crazy!!