Carol

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > "Scott" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I want to put up a couple of Concord grape pies for a later date. Would
> >>it be better to just freeze the filling, or freeze the unbaked pie?

In the summer I freeze as many fruit pies as I can squeeze into the
freezer. The results are excellent, although there may be some
"breakdown" of the thickener, depending on the kind you use. ClearJel
doesn't break down but I have found a flour/tapioca combination works
just about as well and is much cheaper and easier to locate. I make
the pie, freeze it unwrapped until it's entirely firm, then wrap well.
That way the edge of the crust isn't damaged. Frozen pies, once
wrapped, can also be stacked. One thing, don't cut vents in the top
crust if you plan to freeze the pie. Cut vents just before you bake.

I have done something similar at Thanksgiving. I make my pastry,
freeze solid then carefully stack and wrap. Thanksgiving morning I
remove the pie crusts from the freezer, unstack, let "soften" a bit
(about 25 minutes), pour in the pumpkin filling and bake. What a
timesaver!

If you don't have enough room for a whole pie you can make the filling
and place it in a freezer container. When ready to assemble the pie,
let filling thaw just until it can be spread in the crust; finish pie
and bake. You can also line a pie plate with saran wrap, put the
filling in the plate, freeze until firm and then remove and wrap. If
you do this, allow some room for the thickness of the crust in the
pan. What I do is put my filling in cheapie Dollar Store pans, which
are just slightly shallower and smaller than the standard 9-inch then
when I make the pie use my 9-inch Pyrex pie plate. Slip the frozen
disk into the pastry-lined plate and continue as usual.

> How does the crust do? I've frozen uncooked cherry pie filling before,
> but I've never frozen a complete pie because I assumed it would get soggy.

I have not found that the crust gets soggy at all, especially if the
pie is baked on the lowest rack. If anything, the pie is less soggy,
maybe because the filling is frozen and the crust bakes a while before
it thaws enough to liquefy. Freezing also seems to "tenderize" the
crust.

Carol