Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Our first tomato , 2018

On 6/18/2018 8:22 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/18/2018 8:19 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>> On 6/18/2018 5:01 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> My first tomato wouldn't serve me, it's only about the size of
>>> a marble shooter.Â* Cool rainy spring but the heat and sun have arrived
>>> so I have hopes.

>> Â*Â* This one's about the size of a tennis ball . There are LOTS more
>> out there . I have 24 plants , 6 each of Rutgers , Marglobe ,
>> Beefsteak , and Roma . I have just made major improvements to my soil
>> (per county extension analysis), most of my plants are 5' tall or
>> better , almost every single one has tomatoes .

> Wow, that's way ahead of me.Â* The mortgage lifters are only about
> a foot high, the Early Girl is much taller.
>
> you sure planted a lot of tomatoes.
>
>> Mama better get into canning mode ... did you know I'm psychic ? I
>> see several large batches of spaghetti sauce in my future ... gotta
>> be better than Ragu !
>>
>> Â*Â* I've also got beans over-topping a 5' high trellis , Anaheim
>> peppers over 5" long , and scads of small cucumbers coming along
>> nicely . My okra plants are about 6" tall now , and the yellow
>> squashes have fruit .

> You are Way ahead of me, that's for sure.Â* Congrats.
>
> nancy

Â* Aren't you kinda up north ? I'm in North central Arkansas , about 50
miles south of Misery . We're on the south edge of the Ozark Plateau ,
our usual last frost date is around April 15th . We are having a *VERY*
good year . I plant a lot of tomatoes because we eat a lot of tomatoes
.... a good share of these will be canned for later use in soups and
sauces . Some will be frozen whole - my choice for long-simmering sauces
.. And a lot will be eaten fresh .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old