Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Stuff

On 5/25/2018 12:58 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:

>> Not my job to be judgemental but I will be. If you have a lifestyle
>> that requires your kids to be raised by the hired help, you should not
>> have them. Do the have to have that kinds of a lifestyle? No, it is
>> their choice. They are putting material things ahead of family.
>>

> If you substituted the word €śdaycare€ť or €śbabysitter€ť for nanny would it
> skew your opinion differently? Most parents nowadays have some form of
> childcare, especially during those short before and after school hours
> while parents work 8-5. I think the word nanny conjures up an image of
> live-in help while mommy gets her nails done and shops the mall, but that
> isnt what having a nanny is all about these days. Its just a fancy word
> for scheduled babysitter. The days of two parent/single breadwinner
> households are long over. It has little to do with materialism.

Every situation is different and yes, changing the word (and definition)
would change my opinion is SOME cases. Nanny is thought of as different
from babysitter.

There are plenty of people with low to modest income that need two jobs
to survive. They often have a baby sitter, like grandmom, to help out.

My beef is the two high income families that put a fancy house and cars
on the top of the list at the expense of children. If you don't want to
take the time to raise them, you should not have them.

Look at two scenarios. One parent is a well paid person making 100K a
year. They have a modest house (1500 sq ft) 2 kids, a fairly new Ford
and maybe the 5 year old van. They eat well and the other parent is
home to take care of them, meet them at the door after school.

The other has one parent with the same income but the spouse is also
adding another 75k to the income. They have a 3,500 sq. ft home, a new
BMW and a 1 year old SUV. Since they both work, the kids go to daycare
to be warehoused to 5:30.

In the case of the second family, they are putting material things ahead
of the children. They want the bigger house and nicer cars so they both
work, but the reality is, they can survive with no problems on one
decent income.