Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Stuff

wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...523-story.html

>>> My grocery store has already started the same kinda thing. They cut
>>> the meat at their meat packing plant, vegetables from their coolers,
>>> and package everything up in a nice display box for sale in the meat
>>> department. Half the price of those meal delivery services.
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure Publix offers the same sort of thing. Ah yes, but this
>> is seafood:
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I don't think it's the same thing but my Kroger has offered a small
> beef roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions, packaged in a tray.
> All you have to do when you get home is cook it. I guess that saves
> time not having to stop in the vegetables section and buying those
> things but it couldn't save much time. I've noticed they also have
> packages of chicken breasts with some sort of seasoning on them but
> once again you have to actually cook those once you get home.

Yes, the "stuff" (harking back to the subject) I've seen advertised at
Publix does have to be cooked once you get it home. They're sold in
"oven bags". The time saver, I suppose, is not having to chop veggies
and figure out the side dish. These oven bagged seafood things I've
seen advertised usually include rice or barley or some sort of grain
and vegetables. Pop them in the oven for 30 minutes. I've never
thought about buying one.

I couldn't tell you the price because the Publix web site actually wants
me to fill out an order form before it tells me what it will cost.
Sorry, not going to do that. Apparently these things are made to order.
I suppose that's good. Still not something I'd buy.

Jill