Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Gold Coin

On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:15:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:

>> > Chances are that's all I've eaten too but I do love sichuan
>> > dishes (and sweet and sour pork). If they make it differently to
>> > please americans, they sure do please this american.
>> >
>> > My typical take-out order is:
>> > - a sichuan dish like General Tso's chicken

>> Not only is there not and never was a "General Tso" in any part of
>> China, there's no such thing as a dish resembling General Tso's
>> Chicken in any part of China. This dish is a purely American
>> invention. It's often thought that it refers to a military leader
>> named Zuo Zongtang, and he is from Hunan, not Sichuan. But you
>> won't find anything resembling this dish in Hunan province, either.
>>
>> If you don't see a few dishes swimming in chile oil (it covers the
>> top of the bowl by 1/4"), plates of cold and fatty mystery
>> lunchmeat, FRESH whole sichuan peppers (green, not brown), AND
>> several lamb dishes, then it's not a Sichuan restaurant regardless
>> of what it claims to be.

>I agree with all you said, Steve. I've probably never had
>authentic Chinese food. But I do like what I can buy here. I live
>in a tourist town that caters to americans. If I lived near a
>large city that has a "china town" I could probably experience
>some real chinese cuisine.

I've been to the Chinatown in NYC often when I was much younger but
learned to steer clear of the restaurants where the Chinese people
eat, you won't be able to read the menu or even place your order
unless you can read and speak Chinese. I had a Chinese friend who
would interpret but to be honest very few of those authentic Chinese
dishes appealed to me, and the few I tried tasted nothing like the
American style Chinese foods. My Chinese friend didn't care much for
authentic Chinese food either, he prefered the Americanized versions.
Mostly when we went to Chinatown we window shopped and then a few
streets over was Little Italy and that's where we ate because there we
could get authentic Italian food that we both enjoyed... most Italian
restaurants in the US cook Americanized Italian dishes, not authentic
Italian food... even in Italy you won't find authentic Italian
restaurants in the touristy areas.
The dwarf has very likely never been to a Chinatown or eaten authentic
Chinese food... he finds those recipes on the net and then Tex-Mexs
them.