Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default Switching to 5/19/18 a tad late (WAS May 5th)

In article >,
says...

> On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 7:00:49 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >
> > The Royal wedding cake *today* was a lemon sponge with buttercream elder
> > flower enhanced frosting. No fruit cake. Breaking the mold to
> > something that sounds tasty!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> When they say the wedding cake is a 'fruit cake' I wonder if it's a
> fruit cake like we have at Christmas???

Brit trad wedding-cake is a rich dark fruit cake. Usually there are
several tiers supported on stands. It keeps well so traditionally, small
slices were wrapped and sent to distant relatives who couldn't attend
the wedding, and one tier was kept for the christening party of the
first baby.

You can see how dark it is in the cut slices in this pic

https://www.bbc.com/food/programmes/b010n3q1

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/celebration_cake_61952

Janet UK