Posted to rec.food.cooking
Graham Graham is offline

Default ODE To A TREE (Arbor Day!)

On 2018-04-30 3:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:47:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> last time I checked the business that does shredding charged $120 for
>>> 15 legal boxes of paper.

>> Wow. That isn't cheap. It seems like an awful lot just to toss a box
>> into a machine that rips it up....with great force.

> snip
> When we were in business we discovered that customers thought the
> service should be cheaper. They never considered the cost of
> machinery and maintenance, employees, insurance, etc. I don't
> begrudge the cost of shredding my paper. I'm still getting rid of
> stuff from our business. I sure don't want to shred piece by piece
> Janet US

I'm with you, Janet! People don't understand the costs of doing business
and the worst offenders have been people who work for the government. I
wish I had a dollar for every time one of those bozos said: "But you can
write that off!" not understanding that you have earn that money in the
first place. They seem to think that a write-off means that you get
money from the government, not that it's earnings on which you don't pay
taxes.
Take 365 days minus 104 (weekends) -10 (public holidays) -15 (vacation)
-5 (sick) = 231 working days. For a salary of $50k that's $216 per day
or ~$29/hour.
That's just base!!
Add on office overheads, insurances (liability and health are expensive
in the US) depreciation of equipment (those shredding trucks are very
expensive) and $120 is VERY reasonable.
Graham