Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Desserts - a tip on sugar use

wrote:

>At any rate, there was definitely a problem with another
>recipe in the same book, but when fixed, it's delicious
>if one likes limas; I've made it several times.
>
> 2 cups dried limas
> 4 slices bacon or salt pork
> 1 medium onion
> 1 green pepper
> 1 cup canned tomatoes
> 2 tsps. salt
> 1 tsp. mustard
> 2 Tbs. brown sugar
>
> "Soak beans overnight. Drain, add 2 quarts of fresh water and boil until
> tender. Pour beans into buttered casserole. Add minced pepper, onion,
> tomatoes and seasoning and mix. Put bacon or salt pork on top and bake,
> covered. Add water if necessary. Bake two hours at 325 F. Uncover for
> the last 20 minutes."
>
> The problem? It should be more like two CUPS of water, not two quarts! Three cups at the most, I say. No need to add water while baking, with three cups.

That sounds to me like a basic baked bean recipe using limas.
Once soaking beans overnight. Yes drain them then add 2 quarts of
water or so and cook them until tender.

Once cooked until tender, you are supposed to pour off
all of that water too. Not use it. Hello? You were making
baked lima bean soup.