Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default inedible meals

On 2018-04-14 12:07 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>> Someplace along the way, we stopped stuffing the birds.Â* We do however
>> stuff large squid all the time!Â* They get baked and it works for us.
>> For poultry, we bake it along side most of the time.

> Yes, many people doÂ* the side most of the time these days, when I was a
> kid everyone stuffed the birds. I think maybe food safety took over.

I always thought that people started doing stuffing in the side because
there was often not enough inside the bird to feed a large crowd, so
some went into a pan and was done alongside. Then they came out with
stove top stuffing and people started to thing of it as something to be
done that way instead of in the bird. It is not unlike pancake mix or
Bisquick. If people don't have the mix in hand they can't do it.

The food safety issue is mainly the problem with stuffing the bird hours
ahead of time and making a bacteria factory before it goes into the oven.