Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default inedible meals

On 4/8/2018 7:42 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-04-08 4:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Don't you use a bit of sulpha drug to keep AFB at bay?

>> Â*Â* Nothing , not a drop or speck of any chemical is introduced into
>> the hives by me . I have no control over what they may bring in on
>> nectar and pollen , and neither does any other beekeeper . I'm lucky
>> to be in an area that has very few honey bees - and AFAIK all the
>> beekeepers near me have bees from the same breeder . Until I brought
>> them into The Holler there hadn't been a bee seen here for years .
>> This is good , because the best vector for bee diseases is ..... wait
>> for it ..... bees . What often happens is a hive will collapse under
>> a disease or parasite (varroa mites , small hive beetles , wax moths)
>> load . Bees from other hives will rob out any honey left in the dead
>> hive and carry the problems home along with the honey . The only
>> hives my bees get to rob are each other ... but that's a whole other
>> subject .
>>

> Do you have to get your hives inspected every year? We had to when we
> kept bees and the main reason for the inspection was AFB.

Â* No regular inspections here . I think the only time you have to have
them inspected is when you're going out of state . I think many diseases
and pests can also be traced back to having the hives trucked around for
pollination . Almonds are a biggie , trucks come from all across the USA
to California to pollinate - and share problems - then go either home or
on to another crop to pollinate . We have one or maybe 2 guys that ship
hives out to pollinate , I don't know where they send them . Luckily for
me those guys have bee yards that are way too far away to affect my bees
here .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on