Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default inedible meals

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 10:53:49 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/7/2018 12:22 PM, Gary wrote:
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>>
>>> I did something wrong with okra about 25 years ago

>> Oh yeah. I have a funny one about okra. Years ago, I had only had
>> okra once and it was an ingredient in a stew of some kind. Seemed
>> like a nice enough vegetable.
>>
>> So one day, I saw a bag of frozen sliced okra and I bought it.
>> Well, I cooked it by itself and put it on the plate as a
>> vegetable side. At dinner time, I scooped some up with a fork and
>> watched as a slime trail developed from the plate up to my mouth.
>> WTF???
>>

>LOL How could you not know okra is slimey? It's fine in gumbo because
>you pretty much don't notice the slime, what with all the other
>ingredients. The only way I like okra (outside of in gumbo) is
>fried. It needs a nice flour/cornmeal coating.

When okra isn't allowed to grow too large (pick pods at no more than
3") and is eaten fresh picked it's not slimey. Once the pods reach 5"
they turn to wood.
When I grow okra we eat it raw in salads. Okra plants are tall and
attractive with gorgeous yellow flowers... should grow very well in
the Carolinas as it likes a long hot season. Some years the growing
season is too short here so I'm lucky to just get the blossoms. can
eat those too.
Campbells vegetable soup contains okra.