Kate Connally

"Jessica V." wrote:

> Today was apple picking, a half bushel of sweet/tart MacIntosh apples.
> The orchard is one that friends of my parents owned when I was a child,
> lots of memories there, running down into the orchard to pick an apple
> for a snack, talking to the migrant Jamaican apple pickers, hide and
> seek, apple fights (ouch), my brother peeing on the electric
> fence...typical kid stuff. ;0) But what I remembered most about the
> orchard were a few trees with some unusual varieties of apples, sadly
> those trees are now gone. The tree that produced "cannonballs" apples
> weighing over 20 ounces each is gone too, two were enough for a pie.
>
> So far, I've made two apple crisps with my grandmother's recipe. Yeah,
> yeah, I know Macs are for eating not cooking, but I like how they cook up.

Me, too! Plus I love the flavor of Macs so I use
them for just about everything. No other apple can
match the flavor. And they have a much better texture
than most other apples. I hate grainy apples.

My sister and I are headed up to VT in a few weeks.
I'm looking forward to going to the Cold Hollow
Cider Mill to get some cider. They use mostly Macintosh.
Macs make *the* best cider!

Kate

--
Kate Connally