Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Corned beef (sous vide)

>On 2018-03-13 3:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-03-13 2:20 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 12:54:54 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

>>> Because it's tasty. Of course, it's even better smoked as
>>> pastrami. I've pretty much given up corned beef in favor
>>> of pastrami. Granted, I've never liked corned beef except
>>> in sandwiches. "New England Boiled Dinner" was one of my
>>> childhood scourges.

>> Despite being part Irish, I have never been able to celebrate St.
>> Patrick's Day with the traditional corned beef, boiled potatoes and
>> cabbage dinner because, quite frankly, the whole thing sucks.
>>
>> Since everyone else these days reserves the right to be offended, I am
>> going to express my disapproval of people using the day honouring a
>> blessed saint

In the US there really isn't much Irish about how the day is
celebrated, for one thing there is nothing Irish about corned
beef and cabbage.

https://www.history.com/news/hungry-...-and-meatballs
http://www.delish.com/food/news/a389...cks-day-foods/

I posted this some 15 years ago:
Corned Beef & Cabbage

Choose a good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).
Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual
cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice
packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
pickling spices (use a mesh tea ball to make removal easy). Bring to
the boil, lower heat to low simmer. Simmer aproximately 1 hour and
add peeled carrots (whole) and unpeeled potatoes (whole), bring to
simmer again and add cabbage wedges. Simmer til veggies are tender
and remove. Continue simmering til corned beef is tender yet firm;
test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove corned beef to roasting
pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown sugar, tent loosely with
foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45 minutes. Remove corned beef
from oven (now place veggies in oven to reheat). Let corned beef rest
uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife slice thinly accross grain, and
serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.
---